Thursday, March 25, 2010

Hum. This is new.

I don't usually keep up with these, so expect rare postings if you follow me.

"The Teenage Philosopher" got me here. I decided to join up. As to his penname, he'll be talking about philosophy. I will have my own comments to this, and will most likely put them here if not in his comments section, with my own add-ons.

I've just gotten into Joseph Campbell's work via a book giveaway at my college, and the book I'm reading is "The Power of Myth." Some of it is waaaaaaaaay above me, and a lot of it requires outside reading of some other books and a detailed reading of the Bible without the religious connotations. It irks me beyond words the way some believe that what the Bible says is right, and the only way to go, without EVER looking at another POV. That kind of ignorance should be a crime. Go learn about other people! I am learning myself, and it's a big eyeopener. And there are a lot of things in there that are over my head and will take a second and third reading with a dictionary beside me.

It's giving me a new idea about how I should look at things. I consider myself a Christian, and live my life that way. But, reading The Power of Myth" and with my own knowledge of history, really makes me question some of the tradition and procedure.

How about something more down to Earth, if just as difficult to puzzle out?

Social life. Uhg. Really, uhg. I'm 18, and therefore I come with all the social difficulties of that age. To make it worse, I am awkward when it comes to guys. I have a very hard time flirting. Which is very unfair, because my two closest friends are very good at flirting. I'm am learning, but it's a slow process. Oh, for the style and customs of the 19th century, where it was called courting, and this 'dating' thing never came into the equation. *hmph*
The situation, detailed.
As I said, I'm awkward when flirting. So, guy comes into life. I think guy is cute. Other friend comes into picture and promptly nabs said guy right out from under my nose. Now, I let her have him. I shrug it off. Fast-forward a few months. Other friend, let's call her R, has had a couple of difficulties and now is no longer with cute guy #1. Enter cute guy #2. I think he's cute, and so does R, apparently. Well, so does J (who is girl number three for you readers), but she's already taken and therefore is off the playing board at the moment.
R and J both know that I thought cute guy #2 was cute, and I wanted to at least flirt/attempt to get CG#2/grab his attention. Oh, noooooo, R has to immediately grab CG#2 out from under my nose again. And it hurts. A lot. Doesn't help that R has a lot of boy/self-esteem problems and therefore flings herself at any guy that comes along. Really, R, use a little common sense!
So, I'm hurting massively, and extremely jealous. But, I am a close friend of R. I've known her since elementary school. When you're a friend with someone this long, you become extremely loyal to this person. I'd defend her from anything, really.
So, I'm having a hard time deciding to confront her with this information, and how. Because I know it would hurt her. I don't want to do that. Well, part of me does. Jealousy and hurt make you want to lash out at others. J knows what I'm going through but that isn't much comfort.
I'm thinking I may talk it over with her eventually. But I have to get her alone, first. Whooooooo boy, that will be a job and a half.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, there! Wow. I started a bandwagon, huh? ^^

    Anyway, about your friend, ouch...here's to wishing you the best of luck! Relationships (romantic or otherwise) are always difficult...Anyway, I look forward to reading more of this! ^^

    --The Teenage Philosopher

    ReplyDelete