Saturday, March 27, 2010

What Makes the World Go 'Round?

I said in my first post that I'd be following "The Teenage Philosopher" and adding my thoughts here, since the comment box is small and I'd probably overload it. And most people don't read comments. Anyway.

First thing is that I disagree with: Greed is not the only thing separating mankind from Utopia. Admittedly, it's a big thing. A lot of things in history can be attributed to greed in one form or another. Mind, another word for greed here should be power. Man has always wanted to place himself above his fellow man, going all the way back to the story of Cain and Abel.
Cain: Why does God like your stuff?
Abel: I have no idea.
Cain: I hate you! *Abel is now dead*
(Yes, I know, overly-simplified, but you get the point.)
If one has power, greed is taken care of via the recieving of power. And greed can get you power, but only if you go about it the right way.

Back to my point, greed's not the only thing seperating us from Utopia. Fear, I believe, also keeps us from Utopia. Look at it. How many wars have started, how many people have been killed, just because neither group understands the other? What we do not understand, we fear, what we fear, we destroy.
Of course, this can turn into supremacy, for example whites being better than everything else, which leads into power/greed. But fear is also there.
Greed IS a huge leading factor, but don't discount fear.

Ideas of a free barter system.
It has worked in the past. Medieval villages, so far removed from the cities and their liege lords, pretty much only farmed so that they could pay taxes and feed themselves. However, now and then there would be a time where the peasant farmer would need something they couldn't grow, ex. something a smith could make. Now, smithing is hard work, and they can't afford to farm and smith at the same time. Also, their trade is in demand. The farmer would take some food to the smith, ask for a service, and hand the smith some food. The smith would then give them what they need. Free barter. Need for need, everyone's happy.
Now, as I look at it, a free barter system only works when someone needs something. Place a unneeded service in the equation, like a painter, and everything goes out of whack. The painter would almost never be needed, because his service is a luxury. Therefore, when he is needed, he's gonna charge a LOT of food for his service because the painter wants to survive till his next paycheck of food.
Free barter can't work in this day and age simply because people want too many unneeded services. Do you really NEED that iPod you listen to everyday?
Ah! There's that word again. Want=greed=power.
One must realize that people revolve around needs and wants, and that today's world is one of more wants than needs.

The general point at the end was to keep greed/power at bay long enough to keep it from destroying everything in its path.
That's hard to do. Very hard. It's almost hardwired into the human psyche.
Every system of government except for anarchy(which is pure chaos and is only a set-up for monarchy) has had a specific set up. You've got your elite few, your in the middle masses, and those at the very bottom of the totem pole. It's always been this way. It even happens with animals! Look at animals that live in groups. You've got your alpha male and female, the main group, and then you've got your outcasts who the rest of the clan tolerates. Top, middle, bottom. It's in human nature to claw for the top.

Where was I going with this?

Oh, yeah, this point. Someone is going to want to be better than everyone else. And there's want again.
Now that I think about it, anarchy might work as a system of government if there was some sort of impartial, immediate way to enforce the law. Government exists to enforce laws and to keep its people safe. Now, I'm thinking impartial, souless computer here, so this one needs more thought. I do NOT need to go Star Trek here.

Last thoughts for today? Look at history. If it's happened, it'll happen again. Trust me. Humanity just loves repeating itself. Makes me fear a bit for the United States. Look at the parallels between Ancient Rome and the United States. When you see them, you will get very, very creeped out.

Teenage Philosopher, thanks for making my brain work today.
Song for today:
We Are by Ana Johnsson

See the devil on the doorstep now (my oh my)
Telling everybody oh just how to live their lives
Sliding down the information highway
Buying in just like a bunch of fools
Time is ticking and we can't go back (my oh my)

What about the world today
What about the place that we call home
We’ve never been so many
And we've never been so alone

[Chorus]
You keep watching from your picket fence
You keep talking but it makes no sense
You say we're not responsible
But we are, we are
You wash your hands and come out clean
Fail to recognise the enemies within
You say we're not responsible
But we are, we are, we are, we are

One step forward making two steps back (my oh my)
Riding piggy on the bad boys back for life
Lining up for the grand illusion
No answers for no questions asked
Lining up for the execution
Without knowing why

[Chorus]
You keep watching from your picket fence
You keep talking but it makes no sense
You say we're not responsible
But we are, we are
You wash your hands and come out clean
Fail to recognise the enemies within
You say we're not responsible
But we are, we are, we are, we are

It’s all about power then
Take control
Breaking the rule
Breaking the soul
They suck us dry till there’s nothing left
My oh my, my oh my

What about the world today
What about the place that we call home
We' ve never been so many
And we've never been so alone....
So alone

[Chorus]
You keep watching from your picket fence
You keep talking but it makes no sense
You say we're not responsible
But we are, we are
You wash your hands and come out clean
Fail to recognise the enemies within
You say we're not responsible
But we are, we are, we are, we are

It’s all about power then (we are)
Take control (we are)
Breaking the rule (we are, we are)
Breaking the soul (we are)
They suck us dry till there’s nothing left (we are, we are)
My oh my, my oh my

We are
We are (its all )
We are
We are, we are (take control)
We are
We are
It’s all about power
Then take control

No comments:

Post a Comment